BW Offshore’s strategy is to be the preferred business partner of small to medium sized E&P companies in developing and operating discovered offshore oil and gas fields.
The use of existing FPSOs to trigger offshore developments is an instrumental part of this strategy, as FPSO redeployments require less time and capital than traditional tanker conversions or newbuilds. This approach can unlock otherwise uneconomical offshore developments and create significant value even at low oil price scenarios. Matching field requirements with the capabilities of existing FPSOs is a key competency of BW Offshore.
The acquisition of 91.67% of the Dussafu Marine Permit in Gabon and the associated redeployment of the FPSO BW Adolo was the first project for BW Offshore under the new E&P strategy. The Dussafu license is situated within the Ruche Exclusive Exploitation Area (Ruche EEA), which covers 850 km2 and includes five discovered oil fields and numerous undrilled structures. The Production Sharing Contract allows for production of hydrocarbons from the Ruche EEA for up to 20 years from first production. BW Energy, a subsidiary of BW Offshore, is the field operator.
The initial development (Tortue Phase 1) within the Ruche EEA consisted of the drilling of two horizontal subsea production wells, which were tied back to BW Adolo. In September 2018, 18 months after the acquisition of the licence, BW Offshore announced that first oil from Tortue Phase 1 had been achieved within budget and on schedule with no Lost Time Injuries (LTIs). Production performance has been in line with expectations and at year end had stabilised at approximately 12,500 bopd. In addition to the Tortue Phase 1 development, the Company has made the investment decision for Tortue Phase 2 following the successful appraisal program on the western flank of the Tortue field. Phase 2 includes drilling of up to four additional horizontal subsea production wells which will be tied back to BW Adolo.
In September 2018, BW Offshore announced the successful completion of an appraisal well and side-track on the Ruche North East structure in the Dussafu license. The appraisal well and side-track encountered Gamba sands at the expected depths with high reservoir quality and the same oil-water levels in both wellbores. This confirmed the presence of a significant reservoir in the prospect. In addition, multiple high quality oil-bearing Dentale sands in both the appraisal well and side-track were encountered, which represented a very positive outcome. The technical and commercial teams are now evaluating a separate development plan for the Ruche area based on the original Ruche discovery made by Harvest and the new Ruche North East discovery.
BW Offshore has approved drilling of two additional exploration wells in the greater Ruche area to further evaluate high-grade prospects. This decision is subject to partner and government approval.
BW Offshore’s ownership in the Dussafu Marine Permit is through BW Energy, a joint venture company owned 66.67% by BW Offshore and 33.33% by BW Group.
BW Energy currently holds a 91.67% working interest in the Dussafu Marine Permit, while Panoro Energy holds the remaining 8.33% working interest. Gabon Oil Company has the right to acquire 10% of BW Energy’s working interest. It is expected that this agreement will be finalised early 2019, which effectively will reduce the ownership of BW Energy to 81.67%.
In addition, Tullow Oil holds a PSC-defined state back-in right of 10%. Tullow has confirmed their intent to exercise this back-in right, which will reduce BW Energy’s ownership of the Dussafu license to 73.5%.
As a prudent and responsible operator, BW Energy is committed to develop safe and long-term stable production from the EEA while maximising recovery for the Gabonese state and partners. As a socially responsible corporation, BW Energy supports the region by contributing to the Gabonese Hydrocarbon Support Fund as well as to local training and social programmes.